Nunnelly, Star Mocs Senior Wide-Out, Remains Optimistic amid Covid-19

By Peyton Gray, Staff Writer

There’s a large amount of uncertainty that comes with the 2020 UTC football season; especially for senior wide receiver, Bryce Nunnelly.

Nunnelly is a recipient of the Parks McCall Memorial Athletic Scholarship. He is a 2019 CoSIDA Academic All-American Second Team. He is a two-time First Team All-SoCon— with hopes of the NFL Draft. 

“The draft has grown more important to me, especially after my sophomore year, because that was my big year,” Nunnelly said. “I think anyone who plays football, especially in college, the dream is to go to the NFL.”

Nunnelly’s sophomore season resulted in being named First Team All-SoCon, CoSIDA Google Cloud Academic All-District, HeroSports.com Sophomore All-American and Academic All-SoCon.

His 112.5 receiving yards per game placed him second in the SoCon, and sixth in the nation. He was ranked fourth in the SoCon in receiving touchdowns (7), third in receptions per game (7.2), and his 1,237 receiving yards places him in the No. 2 spot on the Mocs single-season receiving yards list.

Nunnelly has been named STATS FCS National Offensive Player of the Week, and SoCon Offensive Player of the Week.

“I believe I can get a shot, whether it’s being drafted or free agency, I want to get a chance to play no matter where it is,” Nunnelly said. 

The uncertainty stems from the coronavirus pandemic. Many schools across the country have postponed their seasons– with some canceling all of it.

The Mocs are playing just one game this season: Oct. 24, against Western Kentucky. This game was originally scheduled for Sept. 3 but pushed to the later date due to COVID-19.

The postponement could hinder many players’ future in sports, especially ones who are trying to reach the professional level. However, Nunnelly plans to return to UTC next year.

“Luckily the NCAA said that no one is losing eligibility from this year,” Nunnelly said. “I definitely plan to come back next year and play, hopefully, a full season.”

Although the cancellation of the football season could distress many players at the collegiate level, the Mocs are using this time to get better and focus on fall camp, which starts Sept. 25.

“The goal, for the whole team, is to just use this time to get better,” Nunnelly said. “There’s a lot of teams out there who aren’t playing, so we’re just very fortunate to be able to play in at least one game.”

1 thought on “Nunnelly, Star Mocs Senior Wide-Out, Remains Optimistic amid Covid-19

1. Why would the NCAA not allow players to enter the draft and return if not drafted? Seems like a great opportunity to modify antiquated policies.