MLK Event Welcomes Kamala Harris’ Niece

By Allen Lin, Staff Writer

To celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. UTC hosted a discussion and Q&A on Friday Jan. 29. This event was organized by the Office of Multicultural Affairs, the Center of Women and Gender Equity, the Department of Communication, the Office of Alumni Affairs and the Office of Student and Family Engagement. 

Andrea Lyons, the associate director of Alumni Affairs, explained the purpose of the event.

“The purpose of the event was to celebrate and honor the message of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.,” Lyons said. 

Alex the Great, a renowned poet, kicked off the event with a poem about justice and black culture. 

Meena Harris, the niece of Vice President Kamala Harris, a New York Times bestseller, an activist, and the CEO of Phenomenal, emphasized the responsibility to learn MLK’s message and to be an advocate for yourself. Harris’ interpretation of Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” was “about equality and freedom to be whoever you want to be.”

The event was a webinar and allowed questions from the audience. One student asked, “As a woman who cares passionately about equality, how can I speak my mind to those who are closed off to the idea of progression and equality—especially to loved ones and family members?” 

Harris replied, “It is about communication and empathy. Find out what tools are useful. Don’t give up, it is hard work. Show them and illustrate to your family members that this is impactful to you.”

Rosite Delgado, the director of the Office of Equity and Inclusion, made closing remarks and concluded, “It was a time well spent to honor MLK’s legacy.”

Christopher Stokes, assistant director of Multicultural Affairs, hoped that students would use the discussion to understand the events that are happening across the country. 

“In a college experience, you learn so much in the classroom, but this event brings the world here,” Stokes said. “You have someone that’s directly engaged in some of the most pivotal landmark events that happened in our country. We have someone that can tell us exactly how that happened and is a part of making that happen. With all of that, I think it shows the level of how UTC is on the pulse of things happening here in our nation.” 

Details of this event can be found here.