The Hope House, Walk-In her Shoes Series

By Day’Jah Williams, Staff Writer

A Walk in Her Shoes is an event sponsored by The Hope House and Hosted by Dominique Malone and Adeola Ijiyode.

“I really want people to understand the plight of the black women.” Said Dominique Malone.

Tricia Thomas, a Hope House employee stated that The Hope House hires their interns “based on what they perceive as their gifts and the needs of the community” and then involves them in their programming.

Malone was selected to be the intern for anti-racism and Ijiyode was selected to be the intern for spirituality.

This event is a 12 part series that includes conversations from local activists to presentations about media and stereotypes.

This series came about when Malone and Ijiyode were attending Black Lives Matter protests and went into a conversation about how they felt as black women in the world at that moment. 

“Why is it always black women, always black women who are leading the charge for specific issues, It really made Adeola and I try to world build and think about an event that could just be focused on black women that would be okay.” Malone stated.

The women felt that there was not a place where they could discuss these issues.

This series was also hosted last semester and Malone stated that it felt like “teaching class.”

During conversations about mental health and incarceration last semester, the participants asked questions and wanted to learn more because the material covered provided facts and statistics that they had heard, but had never been confirmed.

Ayub Farah, a participant, stated,

“This isn’t just something I’ve thought in my head from experience, or from what I’m seeing, it’s actually something that’s real. It’s something that actually affects other people… this is in a much bigger scale than I thought it was.” 

This semester all of the speakers will be black women.

“Everything is by black women for black women,” Malone stated.

Both hosts of this series felt a need for there to be something offered at UTC specifically for black women because of the lack of programs and series.

Kendall Davis, a participant, stated,

“My biggest takeaway is that I’m not alone.”

Hearing different experiences and statistics that this program has brought, has helped her to not isolate her problems.

Not every participant that attends is black or a woman, but regardless of race and gender, every participant has a takeaway.

“Let’s do this for us, and people who look like us, and people who don’t look like us who are interested in learning about the experience of black women.” Ijiyode stated.

Joshua Tyler, a participant, stated,

“The way I grew up, you work hard and your successful, then you see there are other people that worked harder than I did and they don’t have that success because they are ethnically different.”

He said that more conversation equates to more education.

This event is held every Monday night at 8:15 virtually on Zoom.

Meeting ID:768 115 8200

Passcode: HH2020  

Donations and resources are always open for the Hope House.