By Stephanie Swart, Photo Editor–
The year of Covid has hindered everyone from having normal college experiences. It made me realize all of the things I had waited to do until senior year, that now, I have missed out on. Let me offer the things I wish I had done to the incoming freshmen, as well as the rising sophomores who have started college off to an unordinary start and have not had the chance to see UTC at its full potential.
- Go to sporting events. UTC offers more sports than you’d might expect, and what better way to express your school spirit than cheering on the Mocs? Going to games is a great way to socialize with fellow students. I only attended two football games and one basketball game as a fan until I joined the Echo and started to photograph sporting events.
- Attend campus events. On-campus events are also a great way to spend time with other Mocs and a chance to learn about campus organizations. UTC has organizations for nearly everyone. You never know, there may be a group that is perfect for you.
- Say, “yes,” more often. Whether it was saying yes to going on a hike on Lookout Mountain, or yes to an on-campus festivity, I wish I had taken more chances and opportunities. Chattanooga is a beautiful place, and I recommend carving out time from busy school schedules to get outside and explore what the city has to offer.
- Take advantage of the resources offered by UTC. The library studio has plenty of computers with Adobe Creative Cloud for anyone to use, as well as camera and audio equipment for you to check out. This is a great spot for anyone wanting to learn more about video and audio work.
- Working for the Echo junior and senior year allowed me to see much more of UTC and what I had missed out on freshman and sophomore year. My hope is for the incoming freshmen and rising sophomores to have a normal and fulfilling Fall 2021 semester and to take advantage of all the things UTC has to offer.