Up And Down Mocs Hope For Strong Finish

By Parris Clarke, Assistant Sports Editor

If there is any word to describe the 2021 Lady Mocs softball season it’s sporadic. 

This season, the team is posting a 9-21 record and has just lost five games in a row. This five-game losing streak, however, comes right after the team was gaining momentum and had just won four games in a row. 

It’s a perplexing phenomenon. During the ebbs and flows of a season, winning and losing streaks happen, but usually not consecutively. If a team is hot, they typically will stay hot until they gradually come back down to earth, as opposed to the Jekyll and Hyde approach the Lady Mocs have taken, backing up a hot streak with an extreme cold streak. 

So much of UTC’s struggles come down to pitching. In the midst of their four-game win streak two weeks ago, they gave up a total of three runs. During last week’s five-game skid, they allowed 32 runs. 

It might seem like lazy analysis to point out that not letting your opponent score helps to win games, but it doesn’t always take rocket science to diagnose a problem. Sometimes, all it boils down to is the simple things, like holding your opponent to as few points as possible.  

Tomorrow, the Lady Mocs welcome Auburn to Frost Stadium. Anytime a UTC team faces off against a premiere Division I school it’s a huge event. The magnitude of this game is compounded by the fact that it also kicks off the final stretch run for the Lady Mocs this season.

After Auburn, UTC will play their final two series of the year against Furman and Samford. Only the top four seeds make the Southern Conference tournament, so for the Lady Mocs, it’s an uphill battle. If they can string together a streak of victories here late, it will make for a great Cinderella story to finish up the semester and kick off the summer.