By Julia Weber, Chattanooga, Tenn., — The dreaded Valentine’s Day holiday is almost here. Students may be wondering what to do to avoid feeling lonely or pressured to create a magical day for their significant other. Instead, here are some realistic alternatives to make the most out of Valentine’s Day.
- Have a pity party with your girlfriends and enjoy the basic necessities…Netflix and pizza. “It’s simple. Order a heart-shaped pizza from Papa John’s and Netflix the night away. That’s my type of Valentine’s Day,” said Alex Gipson, a sophomore from Pleasantville, Tenn.
- Instead of going into a sugar coma, get active with the UTC Outdoors Redeye Skiing and Snowboarding trip on Feb. 14th. Students pay $55 plus rental.
- Students have an opportunity to give back while having some fun at the Broken Hearts Ball in Stratton Hall Feb. 13th at 8 p.m. Proceeds will heal broken hearts at Partnership’s Family Violence Shelter and Rape Crisis Center.
- Indulge in your guilty pleasure of the Fifty Shades of Grey series at the premiere on Feb. 13th. “I’m going with all my girlfriends to see the premiere of Fifty Shades of Grey on Friday,” said Paige Cobble, a sophomore from Knoxville, Tenn.
- Get wild at the Chattanooga Zoo for the Wild at Heart, a Cocktails for Conservation event on Feb. 13th. Students can learn about the zoo’s conservation efforts as well as the unique mating habits of animals at the zoo.