Race for the Cure encourages student participation

Amber Wilson, Chattanooga, Tenn. –The 14th annual Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure registration has opened. The race is scheduled for Sept. 29th and

Map provided by Susan G. Komen Foundation of Chattanooga
Map provided by Susan G. Komen Foundation of Chattanooga

welcomes any age group.  Race for the Cure is a non-profit race  that raises money for breast cancer research, education and a cure.

Registration Coordinator, Jeff Clem, came to campus last week to help students register. Students can register under an existing team, create a team, or as an individual.

Registration for the Race for the Cure is open the day of the race until noon.

The race starts at 10 a.m. at Finely Stadium. Participants will compete a 5k, which is about 3.1 miles.

“The untimed proportion of the race is $28, competitive running is $35 and to complete a mile is $25,” Clem said.

Clem is hoping for six to 8,000 participants. He also urges people to lend a hand.

“Interested volunteers would encourage participants, while passing out snacks and water to keep them hydrated,” Clem said.

If you are unable to participate in the race or volunteer your time, you can show support by donating.  You can donate online or at the office at Eastgate Mall Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Businesses, like Thrift Warriors on Ringgold also donate a portion of their proceeds to research.

Many Students at UTC have taken steps to get involved. The women’s soccer team will have a pink game in honor of the race.

Other organizations include Up, Collegiate 100, Kappa Delta Sorority and many others that have all volunteered time to make a difference.

The Susan G. Komen Foundation was started in 1982 by her sister, Nancy Brinker. According to Komen.org a more decorative cooperative waiting room and staff was her last wish.

“Nan,” she said, “as soon as I get better, let’s do something about this. You can find a way to speed up the research. I know you can. And I want to fix up this waiting room and make it pretty for the women who have to be here.”

“Race for the Cure is the biggest historical fundraiser across the nation,” Clem said.

The organization is hoping to raise $550,000.  About 75 percent of net proceeds from the race stay in our Chattanooga/North Georgia community to fund mammograms, breast cancer treatment and health education material. The remaining 25 percent will support groundbreaking research to aid in preventing diseases.

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>