By Hannah Lazar, Chattanooga, TN—UTC police arrested two football players, Keyon Reed, a sophomore from Palm Bay, Fla., and Muhasibi Wakeel, a

Contributed Photo by Laura O'Dell
Personal foul: Muhasibi Wakeel (left) was arrested for assault on a police officer, who said Wakeel aggravated the situation with Reed and made it more difficult. Keyon Reed (right) was arrested after his girlfried called police, concerned for his well-being due to his behavior.

Muhasibi Wakeelsophomore from Decatur, Ga., and charged them with assault on police and disorderly conduct.

According to the police report, Reed’s girlfriend, Katesha Hudson, called police because she was concerned for the wellbeing of Reed. Reed was reportedly staring into space and not responding to others when spoken to.

Hudson informed police that Reed had locked himself in his bedroom, and at this point, police asked the others in the room to wait outside for safety, according to the report.

The others in the room, including Wakeel, did not leave the room and continued to make the situation dangerous for the police, according to the report.

When Reed opened his door to speak with police, officers observed that he seemed highly agitated, possibly under the influence of an unknown substance, or possibly having a medical problem, according to the report. He then became very loud and began shouting at officers and attempting to leave the apartment.

Officers followed Reed out onto the porch of the apartment, where he began physically resisting the officers’ attempts to control him.

Wakeel then became involved, yelling and cursing loudly at both Reed and the police, according to the report.

At this point, Reed backed an officer down the hallway, and another officer came up behind him to assist. The first officer, due to the escalating nature of the conflict, pulled out his Taser device and attempted to “sight in” on Reed with the Taser, according to the report.

At this point, Wakeel began to yell at the officer with the Taser device, and then assaulted the officer by shoving and tackling him, according to the report.

Officers subdued both Reed and Wakeel, and Reed was put in handcuffs and placed in a police vehicle.

Wakeel was then also put in handcuffs and arrested, charged with assault and disorderly conduct, according to the report.

Reed was arrested in September 2011 on a domestic assault charge involving another student.

Jay Blackman, director of athletics communications and media relations, said Reed and Wakeel have been suspended indefinitely. Blackman said there is not a specific athletics policy in place for repeat offenders, but that players are dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

Both Reed and Wakeel are no longer being held at the Hamilton County jail, according to an officer in the booking department. Reed and Wakeel could not be immediately reached for contact.

One Reply to “Two football players arrested after violent confrontation with police”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.