Maggie Shaw (3) scores the second goal for the Mocs on Friday, September 7, 2018. The Murray State vs Chattanooga game ended with a score of 2-2 after double overtime. (Photo by Elian Richter)

By Madison Reed, Staff Writer —

Though they failed to grab a win, three goals in Women’s Soccer’s games over the weekend were made by underclassmen, much to the delight of head coach Gavin McKinney.

“We are not one to talk about classes too much with them; it is more about the squad and what you earn.” McKinney said. “Regardless whether you are a senior or freshman if you earn to play, you are going to play.”

Freshman Maggie Shaw, Columbia, S.C., scored her first collegiate goal in Friday night’s game against Murray State. Shaw drove down the field on the left side, scored the goal, and put the team in lead in the 57th minute of play.  

“[Shaw] is doing great this season,” McKinney said. “And she is a left back, so the goal she scored was fantastic.”

Redshirt sophomore Catherine Meyer, Hendersonville, Tenn., tied the MSU game 1-1 with her first goal of the season. Meyer was injured in the first match of her freshman year, which caused her to miss the entirety of that season.  

In the Austin Peay game on Sunday, freshman Hollie Massey, Cheshire, England, also scored her first collegiate goal. Her shot from the outside of the box gave the team an early lead against Austin Peay.

“Couple of freshmen getting on the score sheet for us which is great,” McKinney said. “All seven of our freshman all have big futures ahead and they are all doing really well.”

Ashton Shields, Arlington, Tenn., another freshman for UTC, was the starting goalkeeper in the MSU game. She is now up to 16 saves on the season.

On Friday, UTC faced three-time OVC Champion MSU. The match went into double overtime, and ended in a draw.

Murray State’s Miyah Watford made a quick goal in the 10th minute of the game. The two underclassmen scored putting the Mocs ahead. In the 85th minute, the Racers’ Cori Cain scored her first goal of the season and tied the game.

Both teams duked it out in overtime, but neither could make a goal happen.

UTC went on the road to Austin Peay Sunday, where they lost 2-1. Hollie Massey was the only one to make a goal for UTC that game. Austin Peay outshot Chattanooga 15-3 in the first half, but Melia Correa, Clarksville, Tenn. was not letting anything past her. Correa had six saves in the first half.

The Lady Govs came back in the second half and scored 2 goals to put them in lead and get them a win. Morgan Drawdy scored first for Austin Peay in the 51st minute. Drawdy picked up Katie Kenward’s cross and shot it past Correa to tie the game. Drawdy also scored the game winner on a penalty kick with 26:78 left in the match.

The Mocs started out the season strong with 3 wins, but the past two weeks they have been brutal with three games going to overtime or penalty kicks.  

“We are starting to see how good we can be on our day,” McKinney said, “because we have put in some really good performances this fall.”

Chattanooga is now 3-4-1 and are hoping to bounce back against North Alabama this Thursday at home.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.